Friday, February 22, 2019

Psalm 26

Psalms are really important within the worship of the church, and it has concerned me that they are not sung nearly often enough. Over the years I have experimented with a number of different tactics and techniques to encourage congregations to sing (or at least use) them more often, and one tactic which seems to work in a Fresh Expressions context is to chant them using ancient plainchant tones over dance or rock tracks with some kind of solid or droning baseline. (Instrumental versions of songs by Coldplay can work rather well). The only problem is that psalms don't often scan in a convenient manner. However this can be fixed without necessarily going along the pathway of completely turning the psalm into a metrical psalm and singing it to a hymn tune.  We sang this one over the top of the original mix of Sunstroke by Chicane. 

Clear me in court O my God, 
For I make justice my path. 

For I have trusted in God
I haven’t flagged in my trust

Test me my God, test and try me, 
Probe through my heart and my mind. 

For your love is ever with me,
Guiding me into your truth. 

I do not sit with deceivers, 
Nor make plans with hypocrites.

I hate it when bad types gather
And don’t sit with wicked fools. 

Innocently I wash my hands 
So will I go round your altar. 

Crying aloud all Your praises,
Proclaiming Your wondrous deeds.

I love the house where You live Lord, 
The place where Your glory shines.

Don’t sweep me off with the sinners, 
My life with the violent ones.

Whose hands are wickedly scheming 
Whose right hands are full of bribes

Me, I will walk with the blameless
Save me, have mercy on me. 

My feet stand on level ground, 
In the crowds I’ll bless the Lord.

Glory be to God the Father, 

Glory be to God the Son, 

Glory be to God the Spirit, 
While all eternity runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment