Friday, February 22, 2019

Psalm 119

As I've probably mentioned more than once, I am a great believer in encouraging people to sing psalms. There are many ways of doing this, one of which is singing them over instrumental tracks. Dance music works particularly well for this. (Some historic favourites of mine have been  Cosmotherapy by Dream Lab, Smokebelch by Sabres of Paradise, and a number of instrumental versions tracks by Coldplay). 

Anyway congregations can get confused if they are asked to squeeze too many syllables into a tune when doing this, so I often simplify the lyrics. Here is a simplified version of Psalm 119 (verses 153-160, and verses 169-176). 

You may ask "why on earth would you bother singing psalms these days?" Yet the fact remains that when we sing scripture we remember the words and they begin to engrave themselves upon our hearts, moulding and shaping us. 

Psalm 119 v153-160, 169-176

Think of my problems and save me.
For I remember your law

Argue my case and redeem me
As you have promised give life.

Heaven is far from the wicked
For they do not seek your law

For your compassion is great Lord. 
Scan me and give me Your life. 

Many are there that oppress me
Yet I don't swerve from Your words.

When I see traitors it grieves me
For they do not keep your word

Lord how I love Your commandments
Love me and give me Your life

Your words all add up to truth Lord
Your judgements last ever more.

Let my cry come before you Lord, 
Help me understand Your words

Let the cries of my heart reach You
Save me as you promised me

My lips they will pour out Your praises.
When you have taught me Your laws.

My tongue it will sing of your word, 
All your commandments are right.

Let your hand reach out to help me. 
For I have chosen your laws.

I have longed for Your salvation
And your law is my delight

Let me soul live, it shall praise You.
Your judgements will be my help

I went astray like a lost sheep. 
Look for me, I won't forget. 

Glory be to God the Father 
Glory be to God the Son. 
Glory be to God the Spirit
While all eternity runs. (X3)

No comments:

Post a Comment